I am a big fan of beets and a big fan of yogurt, so why not mix the 2 together? Turns out it tastes absolutely delicious and makes a healthy lunch for a baby 10-12 months and up. This meal is not only for babies though, try giving it to your toddler or big kid for lunch or as a healthy on-the-go snack. Not only will they love the taste, but the color is so appealing they'll want to dive right in
Beets have a surprisingly sweet flavor and mix really well with plain or vanilla yogurt. Beets are full of disease-fighting antioxidants, folate, manganese, fiber and potassium. They are also known to help promote healthy liver function. Conventionally grown beets have higher nitrate levels, buy organic whenever possible. You may notice a little red color in your baby’s diaper after eating beets, this is totally normal and nothing to worry about. Look for beets that are firm, have a deep purple color and fresh greens. Whole beets will stay fresh in your refrigerator for about 2 weeks. Beets stain, take care when preparing and serving.
- 2 medium beets
- 2 cups of whole milk plain or vanilla yogurt
This recipe is suitable for babies 10-12 months and up, toddlers, big kids and adults. Always make sure the consistency of your baby's food is one she can handle and before combining food make sure your baby has tried each one individually first.
- Cut off beet greens and discard. Wash beets thoroughly under cold running water, peel and chop
- Pour purified water into a pot until it is about 2 inches deep and bring to a boil over high heat. Place beets in steamer basket and put into the pot. Cover with a tight fitting lid and steam for 12-15 minutes until tender.
- Puree until smooth using an immersion blender or food processor.
- Let cool, mix with the yogurt and serve or store.
- Beet puree mixed with yogurt can be stored in an air tight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.